Sewing Adventures – Simplicity 1652 and 1873 mashupBy Susan | Comments: 2 | March 29, 2016
I fell in love with the texture and heft of this fabric from Pitt Trading.
It’s wonderfully thick and strong, verging on canvas like. However I was completely perplexed as to what to make from it? I knew I wanted a dress but the fabric isn’t flowing or likely to gather well?
After some time, I decided to use the bodice from Simplicity 1652
mixed with skirt from Simplicity 1873.
Construction wise it was really straight forward. I didn’t use any lining as it would make the dress too hot. Here it is at work in the Pitt Trading store.
The internal neckline and back cut out are all finished with bias binding. I didn’t have enough of the one colour so it’s a bit of a mish mash of patterns which I really like!
The invisible zip went in like a dream. Am so glad I have my technique figured out for those now it makes everything easier when it comes to finishing up a dress.
I was hoping to get a back shot of the dress today but it is all grey and rainy. So I popped it on my mannequin so you could see the back cut out. I’m bigger than my mannequin so the dress doesn’t fit her but I suspect that gape at the zip occurs on me too and that’s one of the sections I’d pinch out next time I make this one.
Fabric: pink and black cotton from Pitt Trading
Alterations: mixed the 2 patterns together. Next time reduce the back width at the top of the zip by 1cm total and the top of the cut outs by 2cm total.