Sewing Adventures: Patchwork MalvarosaBy Susan | Comments: 16 | February 9, 2015
Sometimes you have an idea and you know it’s either going to be brilliant or an epic fail. This is one of those times.
I picked up this fabric at a Garage sale, along with a bunch of other, I really liked this piece but it just wasn’t big enough to make a dress. So taking this Gorman skirt as inspiration, I thought I’d try an experiment?
I used the Pauline Alice Malvarosa dress. Cutting the floral on the top and the band for the skirt. Using the scraps of the floral, some blue and black from the stash to create the other panels.
The panels were calculated out by dividing the rectangle that creates the skirt up and cutting the number of triangles needed. I didn’t quite have enough of the floral so there is an uneven pattern happening but I don’t think it matters that much.
Attaching it all together using my overlocker, I used bias binding for the neck and armholes.
So after all that maths and cutting and drawing the dress is well, ugly. It’s really a bit weird and not in the good quirky sense. Oh well you live and learn and it’s only fabric.
Pattern: Pauline Alice Malvarosa, made before.
Alterations: Eliminated pockets, eliminated facings, added centre back seam, turned skirt into patchwork panels.
Fabric: Garage sale purchase and from the stash.